The Pacific Presbyterian Church was organized on July 17, 1864 by the Presbytery of St. Louis. The Rev. J. F. Fenton was named pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Pacific City. Early services were held in homes, the old school house on the corner of Osage and Fourth Streets, and the old Masonic Hall. In 1867 the congregation acquired the old stone Presbyterian Church. A Sabbath School was organized on May 30, 1880.
On December 13, 1982, Pacific and the surrounding area experienced a disastrous flood. Pacific Presbyterian Church became the distribution center for emergency supplies. This activity led to the establishment of the Meramec Ministerial Alliance and the Pacific Food Pantry, which operated in the White House until it relocated as the Agape Help House.
On September 26, 1991, the White House caught fire when workmen were installing a new roof. With the insurance money, the White house was rebuilt with added classrooms and a Quilters’ room on the second floor. New heating and air conditioning were installed in the church and service building. A new kitchen was dedicated at the Church’s 135th anniversary celebration in July of 1999. When adjoining property became available, the church purchased it to enlarge the parking lot. The next year Mrs. Lois Garrett Whitlock gifted the Church with two vacant lots adjoining the manse property.This land was developed into a reflection garden.
Pacific Presbyterian Church serves the community by providing meeting space for organizations such as Scouts and PEO. Since January of 2012 we have provided free weekly community meals we call Dinner With Us on Thursday evenings during the school year. Also during the school year we pack snacks in 25-30 backpacks each week for Zitzman Elementary School students. And our Stone Stoup Community Garden provides free fresh produce during the growing season. We are proud of our tradition and look forward to serving God and the community for many years to come.
Pacific Sesquicentennial Parade,
Best Church Float, Best Overall Float
Hymn Sing at Ice Cream Social, July 12, 2009
We honor of all the men and women who came to this fair town in the 1800s … when it was Franklin and when it became Pacific. We pay tribute to the men and women who felt that to create a good community you must have Churches. They put actions to words and we are living proof that people who put God and Jesus Christ into their days can make a difference.